The "Road To Happiness"

This morning, I discovered a new song (actually, two new songs) by an artist I have gratitated towards over the past few years. I don't tend to like a lot of newer music, so maybe it's the fact that Cam (Camaron Ochs) is so darn cute and spunky that has helped get me hooked. I'm sure she'd rather be known for her music, so I add the fact that I really dig her songwriting as the reason I enjoy her songs. It certainly is why I'm writing this post today.

In 2015, Cam came kinda out of nowhere with her song "Burning House" and wound up nominated for a Grammy. Somewhere along the way, I heard the song, and admittedly, got swept up by her brilliant blonde, curly hair and incredible smile, and checked out more of her music. I know people aren't supposed to mention looks in 2018, but I am. It's a compliment, and I really hope she wouldn't mind.

Back to today. In my twitter feed (guy-side twitter), there was a post about a new song by Cam. The article that went with the song mentioned it being a ballad with great lyrics. So, unlike most posts that I see like that, I actually wanted to hear the song and see if it was good. I do want to get turned on to new music. Who knows why we gravitate towards certain people and not others? Doesn't matter. If I didn't like Cam's songs and songwriting, I'd have likely passed this one by, like so many others. So glad I didn't!

Cam's new song is called "Road To Happiness". Very apropos for me, and I'm sure many others. It's an elusive thing, happiness, and that's kinda the theme of the song. It resonated with me, since I'm kinda committed to finding new happiness within the framework of my true self. Musically, it's kind of a sweet, haunting song. A surprising combination, I can't really describe it. It certainly works with the lyrics. And the lyrics are what are on my mind right now.

I'm going to put some of the lyrics here, and give an idea of how they hit me. I'll also post a link to a short interview Cam did recently, that has me excited about her next album.

"Be careful who you hang around; beliefs are sticky things
Stick on your shoes and on your soul, rearrange your dreams
Get so good at climbin' you stop askin' where it leads
On this road to happiness"

I am ever-mindful these days about the company I keep. And don't keep. I genuinely feel like there are some influences that haven't been good for me, which is terribly sad to realize. Beliefs can really stick to you. I'm not even talking religious beliefs, and I'm not sure Cam is either. I think she's talking more about perspective and philosophy of life. When she says "rearrange your dreams", that sounds like: people can really mess up your happy if you aren't careful.

The second half of the chorus that comes next has these lines:

"Is the future that we're chasin'
Worth the right-nows that we miss
On this road to happiness?"

I think this is the part that has me wondering the most. I've tried to start working on myself to not worry about the future so much, and find contentment and happiness RIGHT NOW. There are days that are really hard to get through, and I know I can't handle trying to solve the whole future. I think I need to solve the immediate future, also known as TODAY. What good is planning tomorrow if you can't make it there? And yet....as I try to find the new me, the best me, I wonder whether I have the right amount of balance between there here-and-now, and the bigger picture, the "road" if you will. I guess there is no way to know for sure. We all do the best we can.

I think Cam's second verse in this song is very poignant, as she wonders how much other living things handle the now/later balance, the stuff we want and need versus the baggage that can come along with it:

"I'm takin' time to ask myself just where I wanna be
Does the flower growin' in the ground worry just like me
Or does he love the sun so much that he don't mind the weeds
On this road to happiness?"

We know that flowers don't worry. They don't feel or think. And yet, they are where they are. Is that by complete accident? The flower needs two things: the sun, as Cam mentions, and water. Very basic. The flower cannot be concerned with the weeds that grow around it. It doesn't know that the weed is a danger to it's ability to get that sun and water. It grows as it will, striving for both; above ground and below. For people who worry too much, there's something to be admired in an entity that doesn't worry. Doesn't feel. We are stuck with feelings, and I for one wouldn't want it to be otherwise. The point might be that, if we are going to feel, let's feel the things that can be positive and beneficial. Strive towards the sun, avoid the weeds.

Here's the article I mentioned. Her earlier 2018 song, "Diane" is fantastic, too, especially if you remember the old song, "Jolene": https://uproxx.com/music/cam-sophomore-album-diane-interview/

Full lyrics for "Road To Happiness" can be seen here: https://genius.com/Cam-road-to-happiness-lyrics

I'm off to download these two songs. Thanks for reading. Hugs!!

Comments

Popular Posts