Remembrance

Hello. It's been a while since I wrote a proper post here. Truthfully, I haven't felt like I had that much to say that would be helpful to others. I'm not really one to truly toot my own horn, despite the attention hog I might be perceived as by some. I've been working on myself, and trying to be there for others. I feel good about how all that has been going. I'm sure I'll expound on some of it at some point.

Today, I want to focus outward again. It so happens that I learned about the fact that today, November 20, is actually recognized by many people as Transgender Day of Remembrance, or TDoR for short. I had no idea, until friends clued me in this morning. It's been going on since 1999. Here is one link that would help start your learning about this, should you choose:


I'm not big on regurgitating stuff that's already on the internet, but I have thought about the day and its significance to me, a significance that admittedly goes back only maybe 4 hours as of this writing. It's not like I wasn't aware of trans people being killed for dumb stuff; I just didn't know we had a day to contemplate and spread awareness. So, I'll share my own thoughts instead. Why, because it's my blog, and I can. Nah, seriously, I think it's important, and if one person learns something from any of my ramblings, that's one more day before the machines take over.

My first thought upon hearing of this day was how sad it is that we need such a day. The second thought was along the lines of why, so soon after the REAL Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day) is this day recognized, when millions were lost during "real" wars? My warped brain actually saw a slight bit of sacrilege in it being named similarly, and in November. Luckily, I am capable of further thought, and I actually put some effort into it. Two key points:

1. Why would this day be less important that any other remembrance? A life is a life, and any life taken in the cause of hate is flat out wrong. Wars are fought over differences in ideology, just as much as they are fought over things like land and natural resources and, these days, information (humans helping the machines). "Wars" are the macrocosm of ideological differences, and the murder of a transgendered person, or any person, is the same thing in microcosm. Both just wrong.

2. I next got a bit more personal. I just took a minute to think about the fact that very often, a person is just GONE from this earth because of the CLOTHES they want to wear, or their body composition changes, or lifestyle. I'm not really "out there" yet, but OMG, what if I wanted to wear a dress to a movie or somewhere, someone didn't like it, and I wound up GONE. Use whatever term you want, be it murder or killing. My spirit, one that is actually useful, I think, would be gone. Because of something so insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Those are the big thoughts. The rest are smaller thoughts within the larger concepts. I'm not any kind of activist, so I don't get political about hardly anything. And I also try to think outside the "trans" box, evaluating our issues against those of the rest of society. I'm glad that there are activists, and I'm glad there are people who remember those we've lost;tThese are important things that need doing. Note that the previous sentence did not include the word "trans" or anything like that. That was on purpose. What makes the world go around is people sticking up for what they believe in, and unfortunately, that leads to things like wars, and murders. It will always be this way. Until the machines take over. The thing that MIGHT help with these killings is education. Learning. And using our hearts to be inclusive. Of everyone. Except the machines.

Comments

  1. It is good for us to focus outwardly. Not just occasionally, but regularly - and to do so with a kind heart. The machines can't do this, because they have no heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment here

Popular Posts