A Better Boat AKA Giving Thanks

As you may have noticed, I use music in many instances to help me to illustrate where I am with things. This morning, a few different songs were in my head as I started the day. The first, as I recall, was Stand By Your Man and I gotta admit, I have NO IDEA where that came from. The next was With A Little Help From My Friends. That one, I know exactly why it was on my mind. Joe Cocker version, preferable here. Sorry, Beatles fans!


Another was Getting A Little Bit Stronger, by Sara Evans. A powerful song about healing. From the feminine side, this seems pretty appropriate. I feel like I'm getting stronger. But, not without...a little help from my friends. Actually, a LOT of help from my friends. Very direct help that I will never ever forget. At least until dementia hits, of course.

I won't go into the sad details, but I want to get it out there that I'm extremely humbled and appreciative. I don't know exactly who all stepped up for me (I have a few unconfirmed suspicions), so I'm throwing a blanket THANK YOU to anyone involved. I need to give a tremendous thank you and A WHOLE LOTTA HUGS to my incredible friend, Angie. She saw I was in a spot and really helped me out in more ways than one. With a little help from our friends. Ok, that's enough of that reference. Thank you so much, Ang!!!

And so, with American Thanksgiving in a couple days, I definitely have very pertinent reasons to be very, very grateful. Sometimes we are too blase about the thanks we give out on the 4th Thursday of November (or in October for the folks back home), citing family, health, employment, and the usual suspects. It's extra special for me this year.

I also need to thank God in this case, as I prayed and prayed for a resolution, and He came through. Whether you believe in it or not, it certainly helped me. It was amazing how calm I was able to stay the past 5-6 days. In the past, I would have completely collapsed. I just KNEW it was going to work out. So as Sara Evans sang, I'm getting a little bit stronger (with a little.....nevermind).

I'll end this with one more song that really hit me this week, and I think is so very close to where I am as a person. I'm going to post the lyrics here and highlight a few lines that struck me in particular. I have had this song in my digital collection for over a year, and by amazing timing, I listened to it closely on Sunday, and it really hit home. It's my motto for the moment. I'm getting better. I'm building a better boat...

I ain't lonely, but I spend a lot of time alone
More than I'd like to, but I’m okay with stayin' home
My how the last few months have changed
I’m smilin' more despite the pain

I breathe in, I breathe out
Got friends to call who let me talk about
What ain't workin', what’s still hurtin'
All the things I feel like cussin' out
Now and then I let it go, I ride the waves I can't control
I'm learnin' how to build a better boat

I hate waitin', ain't no patience in these hands
I'm not complainin', sometimes it's hard to change a man
I think I'm stronger than I was
I let God do what he does

I breathe in, I breathe out
Got friends to call who let me talk about
What ain't workin', what’s still hurtin'
All the things I feel like cussin' out
Now and then I let it go, I ride the waves I can't control
I'm learnin' how to build a better boat



HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Comments

Popular Posts