Kids, Keep Doing Your Homework!

I have a longer post coming soon, but in light of a couple comments I received regarding the orchiectomy, I felt I better post an update and clarify/update anyone who read that post.


I am not sure how I did it, but it seems I gave the impression I was about to have the orchi this week. That unfortunately is not nearly the case yet. My appointment this week was a fact-finding mission with an endocrinologist I had seen 5 years ago for my diabetes treatment.

The appointment was good, but as I learned, not all endocrinologists are created equal. This is the homework I allude to in the title today. I was actively encouraged to call ahead and see if she handled trans patients as well as those for diabetes, which I still needed some help. But, I didn't heed the advice. Do your homework!

The result of that is that no, she's never treated a trans patient for hormones or helped on the path to any surgeries. So any orchi for me is still in the dream state. However, she has helped me by checking my blood and determining I am safe to start some Spiro again. And prescribed a low dose. That will help until I can see a DIFFERENT endocrinologist who DOES deal with trans patients. I learned this guy's name from this endo, and plan to call to seek an appointment with him on Monday.

And just so you know, endocrinologists don't handle orchiectomies directly. That's through others, but since they deal with hormones, they can recommend and help those who need a surgical path. I am still learning a ton, and know others are saying, "duhhhh" right now. This blog is filed by a rank amateur.

So, all in all, a productive visit. I have a new plan for my diabetes and learned some things related to my trans-iness.

Sorry for any confusion I caused in the last post. And thank you to those who checked in with me about it. I promise to try to write more clearly and keep y'all in the loop!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the update. I know about the need to do a LOT of homework when dealing with medical issues. And finding the right doctor is one of the biggest parts that one needs to address right in the beginning. Keep looking into all the whos and whats when it comes to selecting a doctor. When you finally get an appointment ask a LOT of questions no matter how silly or nieve they may sound. Also ask question you may have already for the answers to so to get a better understanding of that person that will be treating you. Whenever it finally comes to fruition, take care and hope you have a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment here

Popular Posts