Jekyll and Hyde

Image stolen from Pinterest. :)
It's amazing what you can learn as you experience new things. I never would have thought I'd learn so much about things like potassium. Since I have experienced an issue with potassium, and since I take HRT pills, I've learned that I still have a lot to learn.


As I mentioned before, after a year-plus of taking Spironolactone, I recently stopped it. That has lead to an interesting month. The calm I have had for a good while now because of HRT has been affected a bit. I went through a week or so of manic emotions. I didn't really get low, but there were a couple days I felt aggressive and slightly out of control. Like the title suggests, it has been like a good me and a bad me doing battle. It has calmed a lot since then, thankfully.

One thing I noticed with the brakes taken off the testosterone was increased strength. I change the oil in my car myself for several reasons, and I did so a few weeks ago. I usually have a lot of difficulty getting the old oil filter loose to remove and replace. This time, I did it with just my hand and arm. That was very noteworthy and I still remember it. A useful thing, I guess, but not something I want in exchange for the other benefits of blocking the "T".

The other thing has been facial hair. I'm so bummed about that. It all goes to show me that I was doing the right things by changing, and now I just need to find a newer, safer path.

That path seems to be surgical in nature. I am finally seeing the endocrinologist in less than a week, and as it gets closer, I hope my bubble is not burst. I contacted my insurance provider last week and was surprisingly told that an orchiectomy was covered. Which immediately set my wheels in motion. Could it happen? Do I REALLY want it to happen? The answer seems to be YES.

I looked up how the procedure works, and it's very similar to what happens during a vasectomy. The recovery sounds identical. And I had one of those after my son was born, like 14 years ago. So that seems like a very small deal. I was daydreaming the other day, and thought of those testicles that cause me such trouble being gone, and I remember catching myself smiling. That's a sign, right?

So, the next week ought to be interesting. I will keep wrestling my emotions and hope for a better day. I know I want to continue being the Shannyn I have been the past year and a half. I don't want to backtrack. Wish me luck!!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Comment here

Popular Posts