The First Move

"The world is full of lonely people afraid to make the first move."

That quote is from the movie Green Book. I watched this movie the other night, staying up until 1:30 AM to finish it, even though I was plenty tired. It was a pretty wonderful movie, I thought, and I'm happy that a friend recommended it to me. It's kinda like Driving Miss Daisy, with a touch more swearing (it's PG-13).

As per usual, your humble author here stopped when I heard that line, made a quick draft entry here so as to not forget it, and proceeded to kinda forget about it. Until now. Give me credit, I usually forget movies much more quickly and completely.

So while it's still semi-fresh in my memory, let me give some thoughts on the movie. I'll try not to spoil it. Basically, two men come together and wind up spending a lot of time in a car, and as you can imagine, they learn from each other's life experiences.

It's actually a true story too, which makes it even more cool. Two people that you'd never suspect would spend time together, do, and it's a lovely story.

I'll let you watch the movie and figure out who said that line to whom, but I think the line applies to so many people in this world, me included. As a transgendered person, pushing forward is so scary. So many of us never do. I know some folks that manage to live decently-pleasant lives, stifling their passions. Others have fates that are far more cruel, with tragic endings. The idea here is you can feel better about life, perhaps, if you take a chance. Make a move.

There's no need in belaboring the point further, really. I hope to learn from that line and that movie, add it to my mental box of tricks. I share it with anyone who cares to check it out also. So, rather than rambling on, I'll just let you know I highly recommend the movie, and hope you enjoy it. Give it a chance. I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Once again, thanks for reading. Feel free to comment and let me know what you think of the movie.

Comments

Popular Posts