D.B. Cooper Was Trans!

Well, probably not. When I heard that a trans person was once mentioned as a potential suspect in the most famous skyjacking case in history, my ears definitely perked up. And this title for a blog jumped into my brain and rattled around for several days before landing here today. I hope my shameless attempt at attention with such a salacious title worked. That would be fun. Let me know if you read this and that's how I hooked you.

A bit more on that later. The other title I thought of for this latest entry was "Can't Stop, Won't Stop". That just popped into my head as I was waking up this morning. It's a bit more accurate to what's been happening. And as I look back to what I wrote previously to make things flow and keep the repetition to a minimum, I see I did write "My heart cannot and will not let this go" last time. Anyway, I feel a little bit of momentum right now and thought I would share. As usual, the rollercoaster ride includes some pain, too, but mostly things have been positive.
To try to keep this short, I will hit on a few of the notable happenings. Revealing myself to one cousin has lead to her telling her brother, which lead to him telling his fiancee, which lead to a remarkable visit with them this past Sunday that feels like a turning point in the making. There's no way to quickly capture here the full extent of how meeting up with them impacted me, but suffice to say the love I was shown was beyond anything I could have ever imagined.
I had never met my cousin's fiancee before, despite the fact they live less than an hour from me and have been together three years. Why that's been the case can only be chalked up to my awkwardness. But now, it's changing. The support and caring and love I was shown by a person I literally knew nothing about, other than she came highly recommended by my other cousin, was just extraordinary. And when I contrast that with the lack of support I got a few days earlier from someone you'd think would care for me much more, it became all the more startling. In a GOOD way.
That brings me to an update on The Three-headed Scary Authentication Plan (T.H.S.A.P.)
The saga of the letter to my parents is now finally complete. The results were not at all what I had hoped, to say the least. I shouldn't have been surprised, and I actually think I wasn't. I was, and am, deeply hurt by the sound rejection I received, but I am proud of how I rebounded. It was a phone call that I ended by hanging up, following what felt like a Mike Tyson punch to the face. I'm not going into deeper detail at this time. Trashing people is not my way. I'd rather concentrate on how I handled that and other positive things. Can't stop. WON'T STOP.
Other things happening, let's see. Tomorrow I see a gender endocrinologist. As mentioned before, I am going after changes in my HRT program. I feel strong enough to assert what I need and want. At the end of the month, starting on my birthday, in fact, I will be part of a trans therapy group. It's not a support group, I still need to latch onto one of those, but I think being around actual other trans people, even on Zoom, will be beneficial. I met with the group leader, who themselves is trans, on Saturday and found out the details. I'm nervous but excited and ready.
Still so much to be done. But I feel like I have backing now. I have connected with family that loves me. I think they are even EXCITED to share in my journey. And I'm excited to include them. I want to finish off the T.H.S.A.P. and SOON, to see who else is out there for me. Even if it's no one else. That's fine. I hoped for one person and am already up to THREE.
Before I get back to the subject I teased in the beginning, I leave you with this, something I often think of as I go about life...
So.....D.B. Cooper. I had heard the story before, probably on some TV show about such things, but hadn't looked at it in detail until now. I listen to a podcast called Infamous America which tells the stories of, well, infamous people and events. Other topics they've covered thus far have been John Dillinger, John Wilkes Booth, and Alcatraz. It's a great podcast, quite compelling, and I believe meticulously researched in the attempt to be as accurate as possible. A handful of episodes per topic, about 30 minutes each episode.
And so, the podcast covered D.B. Cooper recently. They gave a great rundown on how the crime was committed and the investigation afterward that lead to the case being closed in 2016 with no arrests, no resolution at all. And in that, they talked about many of the suspects. One person who supposedly was never investigated was Barbara Dayton, formerly Robert Dayton, a trans woman. I don't know much about her story other than the minute or two paid her in the podcast, but I think I will check out the book about her, to pass some time if nothing else.
Oh and by the way, if you aren't a reader but want a movie about D.B. Cooper, please don't think you will find much historical accuracy in the movie they made about it back in 1981. It's ok but highly fictionalized.

Comments

  1. You hooked me by sending me a direct link to your blog! And I'm glad you did! Congratulations on being up to 3 supportive friends/family members! There will be more, oh yes, there will be more...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment here

Popular Posts