Duality Ain't So Bad Sometimes

Maybe it's because it's Christmas time, and red is everywhere. Maybe I just like red. Does it matter?

Today, I bought a new pair of shoes. They are RED. They are not BURGUNDY. And you are reading this, saying, "and we care WHY?"



I submit to you the following two shoes for your perusal:


Which do you like better? Obviously, I like the red because I bought them. I mean, I like the burgundy, too, but I had my heart set on red. Hearts are red, come to think of it. Not burgundy.

What are the difference between these shoes, other than the primary color? They are both Nikes, they are the same size. The red shoes have red laces. The burgundy shoes have white laces. The very bottom of the soles are different, as one is black, and the other is not black. The burgundy shoe appears to be a little taller. Price: the exact same.

Oh, and one other thing: The burgundy shoe is for WOMEN. The red shoe is for MEN. Maybe you guessed that, maybe you didn't. If you are masculine, do you realize you can't wear the burgundy shoe? If you are feminine, are you at all dismayed that this shoe is not for you in red? I kinda was dismayed.

I had to think about which shoes to buy. The reason I had to think about it is because, much as I wanted a red pair of shoes for everyday wear (I could be considered stealthily androgynous in my appearance), I was hoping to buy women's shoes. I feel better when I can wear women's things. I don't think that should be an odd statement to make. I walk the line in what I wear, whenever I can. I don't want to shock the world yet, and need to ensure I don't completely alienate my family or freak out my employers.

And such was the decision: buy the color I want in the gender I don't want, or buy the gender I want in the color that isn't my first choice. Understand, I love the burgundy and if all other considerations didn't need to be considered, I might go with burgundy over red, even though I've had red on my mind all week.

I guess I was just surprised this happened, though I shouldn't be. Although I'm not sure I could get a "men's" shoe in that shade of burgundy, I guarantee you if I looked enough, I could find a "women's" shoe in that exact shade of red. Seems kinda dumb to me that shoes that are SO close in styling and every other consideration, need to be gendered at all.

I could have easily bypassed the color I wanted in the name of trying to be more femme. I'm glad that reason kicked in and I decided that it is OK to buy a "men's" shoe. I'm not betraying myself or anyone else in doing so. I believe I'm making the best overall decision for where I am in my life, right now. Others might scoff at me in regards to whatever reason above. In this case, my duality allowed me to get a shoe that I am HAPPY with. And heck, if I like the fit and feel of them enough, since they are so similar, maybe I go back and get the burgundy later. Not likely, but possible.

I hope this post finds you in good cheer and enjoying the holiday season, no matter if you believe in Christmas, like I do, or not. If you are doing well, celebrate!! If you are struggling, take heed, better days are ahead. Believe in yourself. We are more in control of our situations than we think we are. Every little thing....gonna be alright (yeah, stuck in my head again today).

P.S. - Where are the transgendered shoes, anyway?

Comments

  1. Love the red shoes :) I honestly don't get whey there is a difference, especially in athletic shoes. They already accomodate different sizes and widths. I say we should all go to European sizing, so a size 42 is a size 42 (or whatever), regardless what type of shoe you are buying. Then, all you have to worry about is whether or not the color matches your belt.
    Or maybe your purse. :)

    Hugs!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Universal sizing....I like it!! I didn't think of that because my size, 9, is basically the same in men's and women's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comment here

Popular Posts